Often problems we never thought possible arise and sap our energy. During these times, our souls cry out for an adrenalin fix. Here are some spiritual shots to enable us to persevere instead of quitting and aborting the plan of God.
- Do not focus on past failures and problems. When we are driving, we keep your eyes on the road ahead. If we focus on what is happening behind us, we will never reach our destination intact.
- Recognize the Lord wants to use our mistakes, trials and tribulations for His glory.
- Refuse to quit! Like Paul writes in Philippians 3:12, “. . . Not that I have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me” (Philippians 3:12).
- Discipline your steps. Discipline is what keeps us going forward when our emotions scream against it. Discipline is what gets us up in the morning when our bodies say, “I need sleep.” Discipline keeps us fasting when our stomachs cry for food. Discipline keeps our thoughts and emotions on track when circumstances dictate otherwise. In 1 Cor. 9:24-27, Paul writes about disciplining his body like an athlete, training it to do what it should so that he will not be disqualified from obtaining the eternal prize.
- Keep your eyes on Jesus. Sometimes during our struggles in life, we forget the message of Hebrews 12:2-4 (Message Bible), “Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!”