Pastor Dave Hess makes his second appearance on the podcast to share the inspiration behind his book Hope Beyond Disappointment and what it means to have “outrageous joy” amid difficult seasons. Pastor Dave describes how he overcame PMS (post-ministry syndrome), what it means to live in a house of faith, and the biblical definition of hope.
- “Decisions that are difficult don’t become easier the more you put them off.”
- “If I’m afraid of offending someone and what they think, I’m limited in loving them.”
- “There’s a difference between expectancy and expectations.”
- “Hope in the Bible is a joyful, confident expectancy that God will fulfill His promise.”
- “Unless we really appreciate the heart of Jesus, it can feel like He’s being mean.”
- “Worry accomplishes nothing.”
- “We’ve got people around us who have no clue how valuable they are.”
- “We often get in trouble when we isolate one passage.”
- Be direct instead of leading by inference.
- Romans 15:13
- Hebrew 12:2
- Our prayers will sometimes be answered differently than how we want.
- Grief is a necessary part of life that we need to grow in.
- Philippians 4:6-7
- God is at work even when we don’t feel His presence.
- Romans 8:28
- No circumstance can hinder God.
- Romans 13
- We are called to make disciples through invitation and influence, not force or imposition.
Mentioned in Today’s Podcast:
- Christ Community Church
- S2 EP19: Dave Hess on Having Hope Beyond Reason
- Hope Beyond Disappointment by Dave Hess
- Hope Beyond Reason by Dave Hess
- Side by Side by Dave Hess
For more information about Larry Kreider, his books, daily devotionals, small group resources, or other teachings, visit larrykreider.com.