Joel and Marion Smucker visit the studio from Cape Town, South Africa, to share their insights on leadership and navigating cultural differences within marriage. Listen as they share the benefits of living on neutral ground, the importance of sewing seeds even if you cannot see the fruit, and how they became missionaries.
Joel and Marion Smucker work with the House of Praise church in Woodstock, Cape Town, where they lead the youth ministry and serve as elders. The cycle club they run is one of their most successful outreach programs. Their desire is to see young men and women functioning in their gifting and calling. The Smuckers have three daughters and one son.
- “Always look out for those who are not popular.”
- “Look beyond the words and tones, and see the person’s heart.”
- “Value people for who they are and not necessarily what they can add to your organization.”
- “Do not get between people and the door.”
- Life is a journey where you learn as you go.
- Don’t let the stress of achieving your goals affect your marriage.
- As a leader, it’s important to remember that you are a servant. The people you are leading are not there to serve you.
- Visit the home country of your spouse to understand and learn about their culture.
- Philippians 2:5
- God is the highest example of leadership.
- Build relationships and be a part of the community you are serving.
Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- DOVE Mission International
- House of Praise
- Evolving Missions compiled by Peter Bunton & Hillary Vargas
- Contact Joel Smucker
- Contact Marion Smucker
- The Smuckers’ Facebook page
- Preparing to Go compiled by Peter Bunton & Hillary Vargas
For more information about Larry Kreider, his books, daily devotionals, small group resources, or other teachings, visit dcfi.org/larry-kreider.